Jeremy Maltby acts as a counselor and litigator, assisting clients with complex issues in the areas of constitutional, regulatory, criminal, and international law. He advises domestic and international companies, including some of the world’s largest financial institutions, diversified US and offshore companies, Fortune 100 manufacturers, corporate executives, and other prominent individuals. He also serves as the managing partner of O’Melveny’s Washington, DC office.
Jeremy most recently served in the White House Counsel’s Office as Special Assistant and Senior Counsel to the President, providing legal advice to President Barack Obama and his Senior Advisors on the Obama administration’s domestic policy agenda – focusing on the Departments of Health and Human Services; Labor; Education; and Housing and Urban Development. His portfolio also included civil rights and data privacy issues.
In the wake of Edward Snowden’s global surveillance disclosures, Jeremy chaired an internal White House working group on data privacy, and later participated in the broader Big Data working group chaired by the President’s Former Senior Counselor, John Podesta. Jeremy served as liaison between the White House Counsel’s Office and the Solicitor General’s Office; and advised the President, Vice President and Senior Advisors on matters pending before the Supreme Court. In addition, Jeremy worked extensively on the implementation and defense of the Affordable Care Act, including the contraceptive coverage litigation, as well as the highly-publicized King v. Burwell.
Before joining O’Melveny for the first time, Jeremy clerked for Justice David H. Souter on the United States Supreme Court. Over the course of his career, Jeremy has been the principal author of numerous briefs in federal and state trial and appellate courts, including the US Supreme Court – and he has argued numerous trial court motions and appeals. Jeremy has served as trial counsel in several federal criminal trials.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals, Second, Fourth, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits
- US District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- Columbia University, J.D., 1995: Chancellor James Kent Scholar; Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar; Articles Editor, Columbia Law Review
- Harvard University, A.B., History and Literature, 1990: magna cum laude
- Honorable David H. Souter, US Supreme Court
- Honorable Pierre N. Leval, US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- Honorable Eugene H. Nickerson, US District Court, Eastern District of New York
Rate : $$$