Jessica L. Grant is a nationally recognized trial lawyer who represents clients in an array of business litigation, products liability, and class action matters. Jessica is often asked to take over cases on the eve of trial, particularly high-stakes cases.
She also has extensive IP litigation experience in complex cases involving patent, copyright infringement, and trademark matters, from inception of the case through trial. Clients often ask Jessica to step in and negotiate settlements in order to avoid litigation altogether.
- Served as lead trial counsel in a 9-week jury trial where plaintiff sought $25 million plus punitive damages against CEO individually for alleged breach of fiduciary duty and fraud. After deliberating 4 days, the jury returned a complete defense verdict
- Served as lead trial counsel for leading media company in a defamation case. After a two-week trial, the plaintiff asked for $7 million in compensatory damages, and punitive damages potentially as high as $70 million. Following four hours of deliberation, the jury returned a verdict of $72,025 in compensatory damages and no liability for punitive damages
- Served as lead trial counsel for one of the world’s largest semiconductor chip makers and several other defendants in a four-week jury trial in federal court. The plaintiff alleged fraud, unjust enrichment, breach of contract, and related patent claims, and sought more than $450 million, exclusive of punitive damages. After the jury deadlocked on liability, the court dismissed all state-law claims against the defendants
- Served as lead trial counsel in the first major copyright infringement trial involving claimed fair use of viral YouTube videos; following the jury’s verdict, the parties reached a settlement
- Served as lead trial counsel on behalf of a company whose product was alleged to have caused decedent’s lung cancer; plaintiffs asked for multi-million-dollar award; unanimous jury verdict attributed 90% fault to decedent and awarded his widow and daughter $225,000
- Served on a trial team that obtained a unanimous defense verdict in a multi-million-dollar products liability case in California state court, involving an anti-epileptic drug alleged to have caused plaintiff’s birth defects
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of a copyright infringement case on behalf of a major TV network alleged to have broadcast a movie that infringed plaintiff’s copyrighted film
- Representing a pharmaceutical manufacturer in several bellwether trials in California state court, involving a prescription drug used to treat osteoporosis and other bone disorders
- Served as lead counsel in a California state court products liability case, where plaintiff alleges that a defectively manufactured drug caused septic shock, resulting in amputation of his legs.
- J.D. University of San Francisco School of Law 1995
- B.A. Rhetoric University of California at Berkeley 1990
Bar Admissions : California
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
Professional Memberships :
- Member, International Association of Defense Counsel
- Member, National Advisory Board, Women in Law Empowerment Forum
- Mediator, San Francisco Superior Court Early Settlement Program
- Former adjunct professor, University of San Francisco School of Law, teaching mediation
- Former instructor, National Institute of Trial Advocacy.
Rate : $$$$