Jessica Wood has been in practice for 22 years, focusing on Michigan municipal law for 16. A Grand Rapids native, she migrated to Oregon for law school and began her practice in Eugene and Portland with a focus on environmental and land use law. After returning home in 2000, Jessica clerked at the Michigan Court of Appeals before joining Law Weathers’ municipal law group in 2003.
Jessica focuses on general municipal law and municipal finance, the latter as bond counsel and underwriter’s counsel. She has served as the Assistant City/Township Attorney for multiple Michigan municipalities and authorities, including as the City Attorney for the City of Benton Harbor during its financial restructuring under Michigan’s Emergency Manager Law.
Her experience includes drafting ballot language and Charter amendments and assisting with the establishment of special assessment districts, tax increment financing authorities and economic development districts. She also has extensive experience counseling municipal clients on FOIA issues, Open Meetings Act issues and parliamentary procedure.
Most recently she served as the Director of Municipal Affairs for the City of Grand Rapids City Attorney’s office. She currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Legal Assistance Center.
- University of Michigan, B.A., 1992
- University of Oregon, J.D., 1996
- State Bar of Michigan, Public Corporation Law Section
- Legal Assistance Center, Board of Directors
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys, Professional Education Committee
- Michigan Municipal League
- Michigan Townships Association
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
Rate : $$$