Jessica A.E. McKinney provides strategic solutions to complex business issues. She litigates commercial and employment cases before state and federal courts, arbitration panels and administrative agencies throughout the country.
She also has significant experience resolving matters through mediation and other forms of ADR. A litigator with a background in negotiating complex corporate transactions, Jessie understands that favorable results—whether at trial or before—are achieved only through strategic pretrial work that positions cases to win at trial.
Before joining Shook, Jessie served as an appellate court clerk and practiced in the Chicago office of Mayer Brown, focusing on capital markets, commercial transactions and corporate governance—experience that provides her with valuable insights in litigating commercial cases.
Jessie represents clients across industries including automotive, biotechnology, design and construction, broadcasting and entertainment, finance, consumer products, and telecommunications.
She handles commercial disputes involving contract and warranty claims, securities litigation, design and construction disputes, business torts, defamation, unfair competition, and restrictive covenants including non-competes, non-solicits and related claims under federal statutes like the Defend Trade Secrets Act. Jessie also handles employment disputes involving harassment, discrimination, retaliation, concerted activity, and wage-and-hour claims.
Jessie is actively involved in the community. She serves on the board of directors for several organizations and has been recognized as a leader by KC Business Magazine and the Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce.
- J.D., with distinction, University of Iowa College of Law, 2010
- B.A., with highest distinction, University of Iowa, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Lawyers Association of Kansas City, Young Lawyers Section, Board Member (2013-2019)
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association Leadership Academy (Class of 2015)
- Charlotte Street Foundation, Board Member (2019)
- Nelson-Atkins Museum
- LiveKC, Think Tank Member
- Clerk for The Hon. Mary Tabor, Iowa Court of Appeals
Rate : $$$