Jill A. Schaar is a litigator and risk management counselor with more than 25 years of experience representing clients in insurance, commercial, construction, energy, environmental, maritime, real estate, and healthcare industry sectors.
Regardless of the industry sector, Jill’s focus is on providing value-based solutions that are compatible with her clients’ business objectives and risk management strategies.
Representative Experience :
- Ms. Schaar has provided domestic and international litigation and counseling representation in connection with first-party property and business interruption risks; third-party liability risks; professional, D&O, marine and energy, and P&I risks; and treaty and facultative reinsurance disputes. Her experience extends to Lloyd’s and the London market, several European markets, various offshore and captive risk management groups, and domestic markets. Examples of Ms. Schaar’s work include:
- Represented numerous insurers in a variety of first-party and third-party “bad faith” lawsuits, including claims under state “prompt pay” and unfair claim settlement practices statutes.
- Represented energy industry clients in placement and coverage reviews of insurance policies, including D&O insurance, representation and warranty insurance, litigation buyout insurance, environmental transactional insurance, and other specialty insurance products.
- Represented an onshore and offshore oil and gas operator preparing master service agreements for use in more than a dozen jurisdictions, with particular emphasis on risk management under applicable state anti-indemnity statutes and the OCSLA.
- Represented insurers in various property damage and business interruption claims brought by multiple insureds as a result of Tropical Storm Allison, and Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Ike.
- Represented insurers in coverage litigation arising out of nationwide asbestos and silica personal injury claims. Resolutions have included sophisticated coverage-in-place arrangements, policy buybacks, and a pre-packaged bankruptcy in which a channeling injunction under 28 U.S.C. §524(g) was ordered.
- Ms. Schaar’s clientele includes energy majors, independents, and service companies. She has acquired knowledge of upstream and downstream operations and has represented energy clients’ needs before and after a dispute reaches the courthouse, including:
- Represented an independent operator in an offshore gas production platform explosion, handling litigation of multiple personal injury and property damage claims.
- Represented international water service company in litigation arising out of hundreds of residential homeowners’ complaints regarding water and wastewater treatment.
- Represented insurer in coverage litigation arising out of nationwide MTBE product liability lawsuits.
- Reversed on appeal an adverse liability verdict against a tugboat owner in a multiple death/personal injury case through application of the Shipowners’ Limitation of Liability Act.
- Ms. Schaar has represented owners, general contractors, subcontractors, insurers, lenders, and developers in the residential and commercial construction and real estate markets, including:
- Represented international hotel interests in premises liability lawsuits, including threshold assertions of personal jurisdictional objections in state and federal courts.
- Represented insurer in construction defect coverage litigation arising out of homebuilder’s use of synthetic stucco (EIFS) on thousands of homes over multiple years, resulting in a multi-party, consensual policy buyback arrangements.
- Represented surety of payment and performance bonds in litigation arising out of mold claims during construction of a police substation.
- Ms. Schaar has guided healthcare industry clients, including:
- Represented a Medicaid health maintenance organization (HMO) in a dispute with a hospital provider over out-of-network costs charged to more than 1500 patient accounts over a five-year period.
- Assisted a health maintenance organization with negotiating its Business Associate agreements, particularly focusing on HIPAA issues and treatment of PHI.
Professional Affiliations :
- International Certification in Organizational Dynamics from the Bert Hellinger Institute of the Netherlands and the Institute of Integrative System Dynamics
- Member, Bar Association, Fifth Federal Circuit, U.S. Court of Federal Claims, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; United States Supreme Court
- Member, Houston and Federal Bar Associations
- Past Committee Member, Insurance Coverage, ABA Tort and Insurance Practice
- Member, National Institute for Trial Advocacy
- Member, Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Member, Texas Women Lawyers
- J.D., University of Houston Law Center, 1986
- B.A., Magna cum laude, DePauw University, 1983
- Texas, 1986
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2007
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 1987
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, 1987
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, 2002
Rate : $$$