Jill M. Collins is a senior counsel and litigation lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. Jill focuses her practice on counseling employers and litigating employment disputes on a broad range of labor and employment issues under federal and state law, including wage and hour compliance, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, discrimination and sexual harassment complaints, medical leaves and disability accommodations, trade secret protection, and workplace health and safety.
With a presence in both the Washington, D.C. and Boston offices, Jill regularly assists in-house counsel and human resources professionals across a broad swath of industries in handling complex employment matters, including leaves of absence, independent contractor and employee classification, internal workplace investigations, reasonable accommodations, terminations and reductions in force, employment and separation agreements, and employee handbooks and company policies and procedures.
Representative Experience :
- Successfully moved to decertify a conditionally-certified FLSA class on overtime and failure to pay claims on behalf of a regional hospital network.
- Defended healthcare, construction, retail, life sciences and insurance companies against employee discrimination, harassment and retaliation charges filed with the EEOC and equivalent state agencies, obtaining numerous lack of probable cause findings.
- Obtained full denial of preliminary injunction motion against a public medical device company and a number of its employees based on non-competition, non-solicitation and trade secrets claims.
Counseling Matters :
- Acted as in-house labor and employment attorney for a global IT staffing services company for several months and provided day-to-day personnel advice to Human Resources and Legal professionals on wage and hour compliance, non-competition and non-solicitation enforcement, discrimination and retaliation complaint investigations, layoffs and reorganizations, and employment policies and procedures.
- Managed reclassification of employees to non-exempt status at international biotechnology company and counseled managers on timekeeping and overtime regulations.
- Directed comprehensive internal investigations on behalf of numerous clients related to employee complaints and whistleblower claims.
- Conducted trainings on legal compliance and best practices for senior managers and human resources professionals at a range of companies, including life sciences companies, insurance providers and restaurants.
Jill is a graduate of Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 2011). During law school, she was a legal intern for the Office of the General Counsel at the Broadcasting Board of Governors and participated in the Federal Legislation & Administrative Clinic. Jill graduated, summa cum laude, with a bachelor’s degree in political science (B.A., 2008) and bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism (B.S., 2008) from Boston University and was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa.
Admissions and Professional Memberships ;
Jill is admitted to practice in Massachusetts and D.C. Jill is a member of the Boston Bar Association.
Rate : $$$$