Jim Wetwiska’s practice involves litigating in federal and state courts and before arbitration panels for plaintiffs and defendants. He has tried numerous cases to jury verdict and has represented clients throughout the United States.Jim routinely represents companies in the oil and oil services, waste and recycling, transportation and logistics, and heavy equipment industries.
He also advises health care entities in a variety of litigation matters, including antitrust and complex commercial matters.Jim has litigated in matters involving business torts, venture agreements, breach of contract, breach of sale agreements, intellectual property disputes and antitrust. He has handled arbitrations throughout the world, including disputes arising in Australia, South Korea, South America and West Africa.
He has litigated substantial oil and gas matters arising out of transactions in Europe, the United States and West Africa. Jim is similarly experienced in intellectual property litigation within the chemical, oil and oil service industries.Jim brings an informed perspective to cases involving software licensing and implementation, and he represents customers and software developers.
He has represented clients in matters ranging from single-plaintiff exposure cases to mass tort litigations including thousands of plaintiffs. These matters include chemical complexes, hazardous waste facilities, disposal sites, oil and gas operations, industrial facilities and equipment operators. Jim has also represented product manufacturers involved in an array of defective-product allegations.
- Achieved summary judgment for a high-voltage contractor in a catastrophic burn personal injury matter.
- Obtained a jury verdict for $29.8 million for Lufkin Industries, an oil and gas services company, against defendant International Business Machines Corporation for fraudulent inducement, fraud, negligent misrepresentation and breach of contract in a software implementation case.
- Represented a health care client in a business dispute relating to a hospital acquisition.
- Successfully defended a hospital in an antitrust matter in federal court, obtaining summary judgment in favor of the client.
- Successfully represented Waste Management in a defective software and negligent implementation case against SAP.
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates.
- Member, State Bar of Texas.
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation.
- J.D., University of Oklahoma College of Law, 1992
- B.A., University of Oklahoma, with distinction, 1989
Rate : $$$