Joan M. Cotkin litigates a complex variety of disputes with a particular emphasis on insurance recovery and commercial litigation, while also providing coverage counseling.
Joan assists clients in setting up insurance programs appropriate to their needs, working with brokers including Marsh, AON, A.J. Gallagher and many others to ensure appropriate insurance coverages are in place that will address the risks inherent in major construction projects and other business enterprises. Joan has provided thousands of detailed coverage opinions through the years.
A commercial litigator with more than 40 years of experience that includes taking many complex business disputes through trial in state and federal courts, Joan has helped her corporate and public sector clients recover hundreds of millions of dollars in insurance proceeds by successfully litigating landmark cases, including appeals in state and circuit courts.
Joan provides tailored advice on insurance matters in areas including, directors and officers coverage, property and liability insurance, intellectual property coverage, excess insurance coverage, professional liability defense, and bad faith litigation.
Joan advises clients on a wide variety of insurance claims under CGL policies, D&O, E&O, Cyber Insurance, Patent Insurance and other forms of liability coverages, Property and other first party insurance recoveries, including disability and life claims, in state and federal courts.
In addition, she has counseled many private and private/public partnerships to tailor insurance programs appropriate to their needs. Finally, Joan has served as a qualified expert witness and testified in State and Federal Court, and in arbitrations on insurance industry related issues since 1993.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Served as counsel for owner/builder Americana at Brand negotiating coverage under the OCIP primary and excess insurer in connection with multiple claims.
- Provided advice and counseling on insurance programs for J.D. Powers at renewal including negotiation for manuscripted forms.
- Provided advice and counseling on insurance program for international freight-forwarder Rock-It Cargo, including negotiation for manuscripted forms.
- Provided advice and counseling for James Perse Enterprises on insurance program in connection with various construction projects, which included general contractors and related AI insurance issues.
- Provided advice and counseling on insurance program for Regency Skyport on major construction project.
- Provided advice and counseling to Tiara at Northgate on insurance program for major construction project including interplay between WRAP coverages and AI insurance.
- On behalf of LA Gear, recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in insurance proceeds to defend and settle trademark and patent infringement, unfair competition, and securities violation claims.
- On behalf of Hyundai Motor America, recovered millions of dollars of insurance proceeds to defend and settle patent infringement claims.
- J.D., Villanova University School of Law, 1976
- B.A., Mills College, 1972
ADMISSIONS : California
- U.S. District Courts for the Central, Southern, and Eastern Districts of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Rate : $$$$