Joan M. Levit represents court-appointed receivers in multi-million liquidation cases in state and federal courts in cases which arise from Ponzi schemes or violations of securities laws. In the wake of some of the largest schemes in history, she has represented receivers in Ponzi scheme cases, EB-5 fraud, SEC actions and other state and federal recoveries.
Joan’s specialty is bankruptcy law, be it the representation of trustees or creditors in all aspects of Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 cases. She represents secured creditors and landlords protecting their rights by seeking relief from the automatic stay, adequate protection payments, payment of administrative claims and defending them against allegations of receipt of preferential or fraudulent transfers.
Joan also represents trustees in business and individual cases, where she has facilitated the sale of millions of dollars of real and personal property for the benefit of creditors. She has recovered millions of dollars of fraudulently transferred assets, challenged claimed exemptions and prosecuted discharge proceedings.
Joan has represented lenders in multi-million dollar commercial foreclosure proceedings throughout the State of Florida. She also represents businesses as plaintiffs in commercial litigation matters focusing on landlord/tenant disputes, breach of contract, and other recovery of real or personal property. Additionally, she represents creditors in post-judgment collections, executions, garnishments, and other recoveries.
- J.D., University of Miami School of Law, 1993, Moot Court Board
- B.A., The American University, 1983, cum laude
Bar Admissions : Florida
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Professional Experience :
- Office of Broward County Attorney, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 1994-1998
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Bankruptcy Bar Association of the Southern District of Florida, Member
- The Florida Bar, Business Law Section, Member
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC), Member
Rate : $$$