Joanne Butler is a partner in the firm’s Trusts and Estates Practice Group. Her practice includes estate planning for individuals and families as well as representation of individual and corporate fiduciaries in all aspects of estate and trust administration and estate and trust related litigation.
Joanne advises clients with respect to the administration and investment of estate and trust assets, the tax implications of contemplated estate, gift, generation-skipping transfer and income tax planning and the preparation and filing of estate and gift tax returns, estate accountings and periodic trust accountings.
Joanne has represented both individual and corporate fiduciaries before the Internal Revenue Service, the New York County Surrogate’s Court and in Fairfield County, Connecticut Probate Courts.
Prior to joining Shipman & Goodwin, Joanne was Special Counsel at Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP in its Estates, Trusts and Tax Planning Group. She also worked in the New York County Surrogate’s Court as an interim principal law clerk to the Honorable Eve Preminger and Honorable Kristin Booth Glen.
- New York State Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association:Trusts, Estates & Surrogate’s Courts Committee (2015-2016); Estate and Gift Tax Committee (2013-2015)
- Greenwich Bar Association
- New York University School of Law, LL.M., 2005
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D., 1998 magna cum laude
- Seton Hall, B.S., 1982
Rate : $$$