A highly skilled civil, criminal, and appellate litigator, Joel D. Bertocchi handles appeals in state and federal courts and represents clients in connection with criminal and regulatory investigations and proceedings, providing counsel on compliance policies and related issues.
He has argued cases in the U.S. Supreme Court and multiple federal Circuits and state appellate courts, and served as Illinois’ Solicitor General, the chief appellate lawyer for the State.
A former federal prosecutor, he conducts internal investigations in all areas, including corporate governance and employee misconduct, and represents defendants and witnesses in criminal investigations and prosecutions.
Joel also strategically advises clients on the application of complex statutes and regulatory issues, including private and public corruption statutes, the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), and fraud.
- J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School, 1983, cum laude
- B.A., University of Wisconsin, 1979, with honors
Bar Admissions : Illinois
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- American Academy of Appellate Lawyers, Fellow, 2015–Present
- Seventh Circuit Pattern Federal Civil Jury Instruction Committee, Member, 2002–2008; Patent Subcommittee
- Seventh Circuit Pattern Federal Criminal Jury Instruction Committee, Member, 2013–Present; Reporter, 2009–2013; Member, 1996–1999
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association, Member
- Chicago Inn of Court, Master of the Bench, President, 2016–2017
- Illinois Appellate Lawyers’ Association, Member
Rate : $$$$