S. Joel Cartee represents public and private companies as well as private equity investors and government agencies in a broad range of corporate transactions. He has extensive experience structuring and negotiating domestic and cross border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic alliances, private equity and venture capital investments, corporate restructurings and equity and debt financing transactions. Mr. Cartee also advises clients with respect to corporate governance, securities, capital raising and investment matters. He has particular experience in the energy, technology and telecommunications industries. Mr. Cartee’s telecommunications practice includes the routine representation of one of the world’s largest telecommunications companies in domestic and international mergers and acquisitions and other business transactions.
Mr. Cartee has been appointed Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Georgia in connection with his representations of the State of Georgia Retirement System and the Office of the State Treasurer.
While attending law school, Mr. Cartee served as Senior Editor of the Alabama Law Review.
Mr. Cartee was listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Mergers & Acquisitions in 2019 and the six years immediately preceding. He was also named a Law360 2018 MVP for Telecommunications Law. During his career, Mr. Cartee has handled hundreds of mergers and acquisitions transactions for public and private clients with an aggregate deal value in the billions of dollars.
- Represented Equifax Inc. in its acquisition of DataX, Ltd, a leading specialty finance credit reporting agency and alternative data provider to lenders nationwide. Through DataX, Equifax will help lenders expand credit access and broaden financial inclusion for more consumers, specifically in underbanked populations.
- Represented AT&T Inc. in its acquisition of AppNexus, a technology company operating a leading global advertising marketplace that provides enterprise products for digital advertising for publishers, agencies and marketers. This transaction marks the first major acquisition in the AdTech space by the newly combined AT&T/Time Warner.
- Represented AT&T Inc. in the acquisition of AlienVault, an innovative technology and security company. This acquisition will enable AT&T to expand its enterprise-grade security solutions portfolio and offerings to millions of small and medium-sized businesses and accelerate AT&T’s vision of enabling organizations of all sizes with effective cybersecurity solutions.
- Represented AT&T Inc. in its acquisition of FiberTower Corporation, a company with a nationwide portfolio of millimeter wave spectrum of 39 GHz wireless licenses. The millimeter wave spectrum is crucial to the development and rollout of the next generation of mobile wireless, referred to as 5G wireless, to support the offering of such developments as virtual and augmented reality, telemedicine, autonomous cars, smart cities, and similar mobile technologies. The acquisition of FiberTower positions AT&T to meet its goal of being the first U.S. company to introduce 5G wireless in a dozen markets by late 2018.
- Represented Equifax, a global analytics and technology company, in its acquisition of PayNet, a provider of commercial credit risk underwriting and management solutions for the commercial lending and leasing market. Through the PayNet acquisition, Equifax strengthens its Commercial business, data assets, and analytics capabilities will be able to provide innovative solutions to commercial customers, helping them grow their business, while better managing risk.
- University of Alabama School of Law, J.D. (1998) magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- University of Alabama, B.S., Commerce and Business Administration (1995) summa cum laude
- Georgia (1998)
- Texas (2012)
Rate : $$$$