Joel Eaton received his Bachelor of Arts Degree from Yale University and his Juris Doctorate Degree (cum laude) from Harvard Law School. He is admitted to the following bars: Florida, U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, U.S. Supreme Court, U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit.
Joel handles appellate litigation––a practice which has taken him to all of the appellate courts of Florida, including innumerable appearances in the Florida Supreme Court, to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits on many occasions, and several times to the United States Supreme Court.
Joel authored “The American Law of Defamation Through Gertz v. Robert Welch, Inc. and Beyond: An Analytical Primer,” Virginia Law Review, Vol. 61, Issue No. 7, in 1975; and Ch. 6, “Making a Proper Record,” Florida Civil Trial Practice, Eighth Edition, in 2010.
His article, “Jumping Through the Hoops to Meaningful Appellate Review: Protecting the Record at Trial,” which was published in the May, 1988 Florida Bar Journal, won first prize for the best Journal article published in 1988.
Joel is also heavily involved in organizations concerned with appellate practice, including a former chairmanship of the Appellate Court Rules Committee of the Florida Bar, Adviser to The Reporter of the American Law Institute′s Restatement of the Law of Torts (Third), two terms as a member of the Florida Supreme Court Committee on Standard Jury Instructions in Civil Cases, membership in the prestigious American Law Institute, the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers and the American Association for Justice, and is a Diplomat of the Florida Justice Association. Joel served as a Lieutenant, Naval Aviator, in the U.S. Navy from 1965–1971 and flew 150 combat missions during two tours in Southeast Asia.
- Florida, 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, 1978
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Professional & Community Involvement:
- Dade County Bar
- American Bar, (Member, Torts and Insurance Practice Section)
- Florida Bar, (Member: Judicial Evaluation Committee, 1995–1998
- Supreme Court Committee on Standard Jury Instructions, Civil, 1999–2004
- Appellate Court Rules Committee, 1980–2002; Chairman, 1989–1990)
- American Justice Association
- Florida Justice Association (Diplomate)
- Miami-Dade Justice Association
- American Law Institute
- American Academy of Appellate Lawyers
Rate : $$$