Joel Griswold successfully defends clients in consumer and employment class actions across the country, including, but not limited to, matters asserting claims under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA); Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA); Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA); Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA); Video Privacy Protection Act (VPPA), and the panoply of other federal and state consumer protection laws.
In addition, he regularly represents and counsels end users (including employers), furnishers and consumer reporting agencies in relation to FCRA compliance and interplay with various state and local laws.
Counseling and representing retailers on a wide spectrum of issues, Joel’s knowledge of this rapidly changing industry allows him to anticipate and resolve concerns before they become liabilities. A regular presenter at the annual Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA) Law Conference, he speaks on innovative topics involving class action litigation.
- For a large department store chain, won motion to dismiss putative nationwide FCRA class action and California state law class actions alleging improper disclosure and authorization.
- For a large food manufacturer, won a motion to dismiss putative nationwide FCRA class action alleging improper disclosure and authorization.
- For a large bank, won motion to dismiss putative nationwide FCRA class action alleging unauthorized credit inquiries on consumers after the discharge of debts through bankruptcy.
- For one of the world’s largest security companies, successfully defended against a putative nationwide FCRA class action by procuring a voluntary dismissal at the pleading stage.
- Successfully obtained plaintiff’s voluntary abandonment of putative nationwide VPPA class action alleging a retailer’s data retention practices violated the VPPA.
- Regularly counsels clients on a broad spectrum of employment and business issues, including pay practices, dispute resolutions, and issues arising under the ADA, Title VII and FMLA.
Memberships : Retail Industry Leaders Association
Community : Northwestern Alumni Association
- J.D., University of Minnesota Law School, 2002, cum laude
- B.A., Northwestern University, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
Rate : $$$$