Joel D. Sayres counsels clients in complex patent, trademark and copyright matters, with a focus on patent litigation. Joel litigates intellectual property disputes in venues throughout the United States, including patent infringement actions involving optical communications, medical devices, storage systems, and wireless technology.
He also represents petitioners and patent owners in post-grant proceedings before the USPTO and Patent Trial and Appeal Board, including inter partes review (IPR) proceedings.
Prior to joining Faegre Baker Daniels, Joel practiced for several years in California at Irell & Manella LLP, where he focused on patent litigation, unfair business practice disputes and internal investigations.
Joel also previously served as a directing attorney at Public Counsel Law Center in Los Angeles, where he focused on representing victims in mortgage fraud and home-equity-theft litigation.
He was co-chair of the Litigation Training Committee and a clinical instructor for the Pepperdine University School of Law externship. Joel has also co-taught a semester-long course on patent litigation at the University of Colorado law school.
- Yale Law School, J.D. Yale Journal of International Law (managing editor) (2002)
- Haverford College, B.A. Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude, with honors (1997)
Bar Admissions : Colorado, California.
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
Clerkships : U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, Hon. David H. Ebel, 2010-2011
Professional Associations :
- American Bar Association — Section of Intellectual Property
- Colorado Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
Civic Activities :
- Sister Carmen Community Center — Board member (Former Chair)
- Center for Legal Inclusiveness — Board Member
- Humane Society of Boulder Valley — Board Member
Rate : $$$