Joelle C. Sharman is a partner at the Atlanta office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Life Health Disability & ERISA, Insurance Coverage, and Labor & Employment Practices. She is a civil and appellate litigator with a diverse practice spanning almost twenty years.
Ms. Sharman has been lead counsel on a variety of appeals and cases involving complex insurance coverage issues; ERISA; employee benefits; individual life, health, disability, and accidental death benefits; and traditional employment issues.
Ms. Sharman is active in the Life, Health, and Disability Committee of the Defense Research Institute; a member of the Life Insurance Committee of the Tort and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association; and co-chair of an Employee Benefits Subcommittee of the Labor & Employment Section of the American Bar Association.
Ms. Sharman has published on insurance, employee benefits, and ERISA matters, and has been a frequent speaker on those topics at seminars, such as the ACI ERISA Litigation, Employment Discrimination, and Life Insurance Litigation Conferences; the Eastern Claims Conference, the Annual Meeting of the Defense Research Institute; and the Life, Health and Disability Seminar of the Defense Research Institute.
- Duke University School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1994
- University of Miami, Bachelor of Science, magna cum laude, 1991
- State Bar Admissions, Florida, Georgia
- United States Courts of Appeals & Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- State Supreme Courts
- Florida Supreme Court
- Georgia Supreme Court
- State Appellate Courts
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Member, American Bar Association (Labor and Employment and Torts Trial and Insurance Practice Sections; Employee Benefits subcommittee; past chair of Technology Subcommittee; past Vice-Chair of Life Insurance Law Subcommittee)
- Member, DRI: Voice of the Defense Bar (Life, Health, Disability committee, Vice-Co-Chair of Annual Meeting; Employment Committee, steering committee)
- Member, Greater North Fulton Chamber of Commerce
- Admitted to practice in all state and federal courts in Florida and Georgia, and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
Representative Cases :
- Joseph v. Zurich Life Ins. Co. of Am., No. 05-12948, 159 Fed. Appx. 114, 2005 U.S. App. LEXIS 27432, (11th Cir. Dec. 13, 2005)
- O’Donnell v. BellSouth Adver. & Publ’g Corp., 906 So. 2d 1264 (Fla. 4th DCA 2005)
- McCormack v. Appel, 907 So. 2d 538 (Fla. 3d DCA 2005)
- Jacobs Wind Elec. Co. v. DOT, 892 So. 2d 1028 (Fla. 2d DCA 2004)
- Cowins v. Landmark Learning Ctr., 885 So. 2d 421 (Fla. 1st DCA 2004)
- Chrysler Realty Corp. v. Davis, 877 So. 2d 903 (Fla. 4th DCA 2004)
Rate : $$$$