Johanna Gibbon takes an efficient, hands-on approach to defending clients involved in complex mass tort litigation. She has extensive experience in comprehending client-specific culture and history and a deep respect for individual client policies and procedures.
Relying on a substantial motion practice and her experience in negotiating settlements, Johanna supports and defends corporate clients that design, develop and manufacture medical devices and pharmaceuticals as well as other products – such as asbestos, silica and talc – that have been targeted for complex mass tort litigation.
Often, mass tort litigation is characterized by repetitive allegations, standardized discovery and recurring costs, but every client, every product, is different. For that reason, Johanna strives to learn about and understand each client’s organizational structure and culture, which is paramount to proper client representation.
Her ability to organize and manage client-specific documentation, thoroughly research the client’s history, and assist and develop fact witnesses to testify on a client’s behalf all contribute substantially to her litigation success at both the trial and appellate levels in state and federal courts.
Representative Matters :
- Representing friction material manufacturers in hundreds of claims filed in Maryland state courts, including with respect to ongoing case management and client-specific trial preparation, attendance at depositions, drafting/filing discovery documents, negotiations with plaintiffs’ counsel, motion practice and/or claims’ resolution.
- Working with the Baltimore City Circuit Court in negotiations with plaintiff and defense counsel to reduce the 30,000 or more claims filed in Maryland, including monitoring the court’s multiple amendments to dated case management orders.
- Prevailed in motion practice in defending friction materials manufacturers, aircraft parts manufacturers, pump manufacturers, boiler manufacturers and a medical device manufacturer.
- Assisted in closing hundreds of asbestos-related claims on behalf of clients who were in the process of reorganizing under Chapter 11, including with respect to filing bankruptcy proof of claims.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Settlement Judge, Maryland District Court (1989-1990)
- Settlement Judge, Essex County, New Jersey (1992-1994)
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Business, University of Baltimore, Maryland
- Guest Lecturer, ADR course, University of California, Irvine
- Member, Battered Women’s Legal Advocacy Project, Morris County Bar Association, New Jersey
- Monitor of discrimination activities at polling sites, Asian American Bar Association, Queens, New York (2012)
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., 1986
- University of Colorado, B.S., 1983
BAR ADMISSIONS : California, Maryland, New Jersey, District of Columbia
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Tax Court
Rate : $$$