John M. Allen is a retired partner. He was a member of the firm’s Corporate Department with a highly varied practice focusing on private acquisitions and dispositions and general domestic and international business transactions. As former Chair of the firm’s Energy practice, many of Mr. Allen’s transactions were concentrated on advising clients in the power industry. In addition, Mr. Allen advised clients on matters of corporate governance and shareholder relations.
Mr. Allen is the co-author of “Drafters of Arbitration Clauses Face a Variety of Unforeseen Perils,” The National Law Journal, (April 1995), “When a Regulation S Offering Makes Sense,” International Financial Law Review (August 1993) and “New Regulation Helps Small Business,” The National Law Journal (September 24, 1992). He is a member of the Business Law Section of the State Bar of California and the Association of the Bar of the City of New York.
Mr. Allen joined Debevoise’s New York office in 1977 and became a partner in 1985. Mr. Allen served as an elected member of the firm’s Management Committee from 1997 to 2003. Mr. Allen received his B.A. magna cum laude from Yale College in 1974 and his J.D. from Columbia School of Law in 1977, where he was a Stone and Kent Scholar. Mr. Allen is admitted to the bar in New York and California.
- The Carlyle Group in its $3.3 billion acquisition of Getty Images.
- Culligan in the sale of its vended water business owned and operated by Culligan Store Solutions, LLC, to Primo Water Corporation.
- Sithe Global Power in its sale of a 50% interest in Goreway Station to Chubu and Toyota Tsusho.
- EBG Holdings in its $5 billion merger with Astoria Generating Company Holdings.
- A major independent power producer in the disposition of significant U.S. and international electric generation assets in the U.S. and abroad.
- Culligan in its $900 million leveraged recapitalization.
- Hertz Global Holdings in its $1.3 billion initial public offering of common stock.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its $2.4 billion sale of Kinko’s to FedEx.
- Columbia Law School, 1977, J.D.
- Yale University, 1974, B.A.
- New York
Rate : $$$$