John Beard, shareholder in the Jackson office, practices in the areas of business and health care transactions. Mr. Beard’s practice is focused on hospital/physician practice acquisitions, physician compensation and compensation models, hospital/physician alignment and affiliation structures, joint ventures and physician hospital organizations, mergers and acquisitions, health care tax exemption issues for hospitals, and other exempt organizations, private offerings and securities compliance matters, and corporate, limited liability company and partnership matters.
He has extensive experience with respect to tax exempt health care organization matters. Mr. Beard’s practice also includes business, tax, corporate and federal and state health care regulatory compliance matters for exempt, governmental or for-profit health care providers, including the Stark law, the Anti-Kickback law, civil monetary penalties, the corporate practice of medicine, provider-based facilities, and service line structures involving medical and radiation oncology, cardiology, neurosurgery, cardiovascular surgery, pulmonology, gastroenterology, nephrology, primary care physicians and multi-specialty clinics.
Other areas of Mr. Beard’s practice include analysis of antitrust matters for health care entities and employee benefit matters.
- New York University, LL.M. in taxation, 1991
- University of Mississippi, J.D., 1990 magna cum laude
- University of Mississippi, B.Accy., 1987, cum laude
- Mississippi, 1990
- U.S. Tax Court, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 2001
- Represented a regional nonprofit health system in an integration transaction with respect to a large multi-specialty physician clinic with over 100 physicians.
- Represented a large multi-specialty physician clinic with more than 100 physicians in an integration transaction with a regional nonprofit health system.
- Represented a regional nonprofit health system in its purchases of numerous primary care and specialist physician practices and structuring fair market value wRVU-based and collections based compensation models, including physicians in family medicine, internal medicine, gastroenterology, cardiology, oncology, pulmonology, pediatrics and orthopedic surgery and a total exceeding 100 employed physicians.
- Represented a nonprofit hospital in the sale of a long term acute care (LTAC) hospital to a publicly traded for-profit hospital company, with a transaction value of $7 million.
- Represented governmental health system in structuring contract model clinical co-management arrangement between hospital and affiliated physician group with respect to nephrology services.
- Represented a for-profit insurance holding company in a $360 million business combination of ancillary health insurance lines (dental, disability, etc.) by seven Blue Cross/Blue Shield plans.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Named an Outstanding Physician Practice Lawyer by Nightingale’s Healthcare News, 2008
- Vice Chairman (Publications) – Tax and Finance Practice Group – American Health Lawyers Association, 2003 – 2006
- Member – Mississippi Society of Certified Public Accountants (T.E. Lott Silver Medal Award – 1987)
- Member – Mississippi Bar Association
Rate : $$$