John M. Barkett is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame (B.A. Government, 1972, summa cum laude) and the Yale Law School (J.D. 1975) and served as a law clerk to the Honorable David W. Dyer on the old Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Barkett is an adjunct professor of law at the University of Miami School of Law.
Mr. Barkett has been a member of the Advisory Committee for Civil Rules of the Federal Judicial Conference since 2012 and has served on the Discovery Subcommittee that developed the December 1, 2015 amendments to the rules, and the Rule 23 Subcommittee, and is now serving on the Rule 30(b)(6) and MDL subcommittees.
He is now serving for the second time as a member of the American Bar Association Standing Committee on Ethics and Professional Responsibility. He is also a member of the American Law Institute.
He is a fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators and of the American College of Civil Trial Mediators as well as the American College of Environmental Lawyers.
Mr. Barkett is a commercial (contract, corporate, and banking disputes, employment, trademark, and antitrust) and environmental lawyer (CERCLA, RCRA, and toxic tort) having handled scores of complex and simple litigation matters in Federal and state courts or before an arbitration tribunal.
Mr. Barkett is also a problem solver, serving as an arbitrator, mediator, facilitator, or allocator in a variety of commercial, environmental, and reinsurance contexts. He is a certified mediator under the rules of the Supreme Court of Florida and the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida and a member of the London Court of International Arbitration and the International Council for Commercial Arbitration, and serves on the AAA and ICDR roster of neutrals, and the CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution’s “Panel of Distinguished Neutrals.”
He has served or is serving as a neutral in scores of matters involving in the aggregate more than $4 billion. He has conducted or is conducting commercial domestic and international arbitrations under AAA, LCIA, ICDR, UNCITRAL, and CPR rules and has conducted ad hoc arbitrations.
In November 2003, Mr. Barkett was appointed by the presiding judge to serve as the Special Master to oversee the implementation and enforcement of the 1992 Consent Decree between the United States and the State of Florida relating to the multi-billion dollar restoration of the Florida Everglades.
He has also served as a Special Master for judges on the Southern District of Florida or the Miami-Dade County Circuit Court to address a wide variety of discovery and eDiscovery issues in complex litigation.
Mr. Barkett is a recipient of the Burton Award for Legal Achievement which honors lawyers for distinguished legal writing. Mr. Barkett has published two books, E-Discovery: Twenty Questions and Answers(Chicago: First Chair Press, 2008) and The Ethics of E-Discovery(Chicago: First Chair Press, 2009).
Mr. Barkett has also prepared analyses of the Roberts Court the past nine years, in addition to a number of other articles on a variety of topics.
Mr. Barkett is also the author of Ethical Issues in Environmental Dispute Resolution, a chapter in the ABA publication, Environmental Dispute Resolution, An Anthology of Practical Experience (July 2002) and the editor and one of the authors of the ABA Section of Litigation’s Monograph, Ex Parte Contacts with Former Employees (Environmental Litigation Committee, October 2002).
- J.D., Yale University, 1975
- B.A., summa cum laude, University of Notre Dame, 1972
- American Bar Association
- National Institute on E-Discovery, Chair (2009-2010)
- Section of Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Section of Litigation Liaison to the Standing Committee on Environmental Law (1996-1997, 2001-2006)
- Section of Litigation, CLE Committee, Co-Chair (2003-2005)
- Section of Litigation, Council (2006-2009)
- Section of Litigation, Division III (CLE Programs), Co-Director (2005-2006)
- Section of Litigation, Environmental Litigation Committee, Co-Chair (2000-2003)
- Section of Litigation, Private Cost Recovery Subcommittee, Environmental
- Litigation Committee, Co-Chair (1995-2000)
- Standing Committee on Environmental Law (1997-1999)
- American College of Civil Trial Mediators, Fellow (2013-present)
- American College of Environmental Lawyers, Fellow (2008-present)
- Association of Certified E-Discovery Specialists, Advisory Board
- American Law Institute, Elected Member
- Chemical Waste Litigation Reporter, Board of Advisors (1994-2003)
- College of Commercial Arbitrators, Fellow (2016-present)
- Yale Law School Executive Committee (2002-2004), Vice President (2004-2007)
Rate : $$$