John T. Bergin, a trial attorney with a specialty in construction and government-contracts litigation, focuses his practice on representing owners, contractors, and design professionals in complex, multi-party construction and government contract disputes. He has represented clients involved in construction, real estate, business torts, and other complex disputes in more than 50 jury and bench trials in state and federal courts. Mr. Bergin has defended clients’ interests in connection with business torts alleging conspiracy, defamation, fraud, negligent misrepresentation, and intentional interference within contractual and business relationships. He also has successfully arbitrated and mediated claims involving construction projects and commercial contracts and argued before appellate courts in several jurisdictions.
Mr. Bergin has counseled clients in connection with private and public construction projects including Major League Baseball and National Football League stadiums, power plants, schools, hospitals, hotels, office buildings, mixed-use developments, and other types of projects in the United States and internationally. He also advises clients on a broad range of complex commercial matters including commercial real estate, purchase agreements, employment issues, and environmental remediation and reporting.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Bergin was a partner and a senior counsel in the Washington, D.C. office of two national law firms in their Construction and Government Contracts Practice Groups.
Mr. Bergin has conducted seminars on various topics such as cost-effective litigation and e-discovery for clients and associations including the Associated Builders and Contractors of Metropolitan Washington.
Mr. Bergin was recognized in 2018 and the five years immediately preceding as a Washington D.C. “Super Lawyer” in the area of Construction Litigation by Super Lawyers magazine. He was recommended for Construction Law by Legal 500 US in 2014.
- American University Washington College of Law, J.D. (1993)
- Catholic University of America, B.A., History (1990)
- District of Columbia (1996)
- Maryland (1993)
- Virginia (1994)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Seventh Judicial Circuit Court of Maryland – Honorable William H. McCullough, Chief Judge (Aug 1993-Aug 1994)
Rate : $$$