John M. Bloor represents clients in a variety of insurance and commercial disputes. John represents clients at the trial and appellate levels in state and federal courts nationwide and has significant experience handling many aspects of civil and appellate litigation.
John is national counsel to several major insurers, and involved in both the prosecution and defense of claims in many areas, including sales practices, stranger-originated life insurance, fraud, negligence, bad faith, product suitability, broker misconduct, and contract and coverage disputes.
Experience : John has represented major life insurance companies in a broad variety of litigation matters, including claims obligations, structured settlements, the secondary market for insurance, stranger-originated life insurance (STOLI), and §419 plans, and ERISA. Representative matters include :
- Represented an insurance company in a multimillion-dollar RICO lawsuit involving claims of a fraudulent scheme to procure more than $120 million of insurance benefits;
- Obtained multiple summary judgment awards declaring life insurance policies having an aggregate face amount of $11 million void for lack of insurable interest on behalf of an insurance company in connection with lawsuits involving claims of fraud and negligence;
- Resolution of multiple lawsuits involving declaratory judgment claims resulting in the voiding of life insurance policies having an aggregate face amount of $17 million.
- Resolution of multiple lawsuits involving breach of contract, negligence and bad faith claims against an insurance companies related to policies issued as part of §419 welfare benefit plans.
- Represented an insurance companies and industry groups in numerous appellate cases.
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 2009, cum laude, Journal of Legislation – Executive Articles Editor
- Villanova University, B.A.H., 2005, magna cum laude
Bar Admissions : New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, Third Circuit, Sixth Circuit, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Rate : $$$$