John P. Bueker is co-chair of the firm’s commercial litigation practice and represents retail, pharmaceutical, and life sciences companies and private equity firms in complex commercial litigation pending in courts around the country.
John has considerable experience defending companies and individuals both at trial, and in actions and investigations threatened or brought by the SEC. He frequently defends clients in False Claims Act matters on behalf of the firm’s pharmaceutical and life sciences clients.
John served as a Special Assistant District Attorney in the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office, where he prosecuted more than a dozen jury trials, and argued evidentiary motions and arraignments on a nearly daily basis.
- JD, magna cum laude, Cornell Law School, 1997; Articles Editor, Cornell Law Review; Order of the Coif
- BA, magna cum laude, Colgate University, 1992; Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
CLERKSHIPS : Honorable Joseph L. Tauro, U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts (1997 – 1998)
MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS :
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- The TJX Cos. Representing TJX and certain subsidiaries in two consumer class actions in California and New York challenging TJX’s price advertising practices under state consumer protection statutes.
- Rue La La. Represented the founders of Rue La La in a dispute with the subsequent purchasers of the business over a large earn-out payment.
- Merck & Co, Inc. Representing Merck & Co., Inc. in a False Claims Act case, which raises novel First Amendment issues in a case involving claims of off-label promotion, pending on appeal in the 9th Circuit after a successful motion to dismiss.
- Fortune 100 Company. Representing large public company in two separate SEC investigations, both arising out of claims first made by a Dodd-Frank whistleblower, one relating to financial accounting matters and another claiming insider trading by a senior executive.
Rate : $$$