John H. Burson is certified as an Accredited Estate Planner and a member of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, John’s principal areas of practice are estate planning, corporate, and taxation law. Known for being ethical and diligent, closely-held family businesses draw on John’s extensive experience with respect to:
- Sophisticated business tax planning
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Benefit planning
- Trust and estate planning
- Charitable gift planning
He is past president of the National Association of Estate Planners Councils (a 15,000 member organization), serves on the board of directors of numerous family businesses, and serves as counsel to private family foundations.
A seasoned lawyer, he has substantial experience in representing clients before the appellate division of the IRS involving corporate taxation, estate taxation and valuation issues, and before The Tax Court of the United States, the Sixth Circuit of Appeals, the United States Court of Claims and the State of Ohio Board of Tax Appeals.
John has lectured nationally on estate planning to estate planning councils and national business organizations and writes articles for national trusts and estates publications. John’s accomplishments extend beyond the legal realm and he also is a retired Captain in the U.S. Naval Reserve.
- LL.M., Taxation, Georgetown University Law Center, 1973
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1968
- B.A., Williams College, 1965
Bar and Court Admissions : Ohio, 1968
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- Toledo Bar Association
- The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow
- Chaine des Rotisseurs Foundation, Chairman
- International Chaine des Rosisseurs, Conseil Magistral
- National Association of Estate Planners and Estate Planning Councils, former President
- Toledo Bar Association Taxation Committee, past Chairman
- United States Naval Reserve Judge Advocate General’s Corp., Retired Captain
Rate : $$$