John Filosa has over 30 years of dispute resolution experience. He focuses on domestic and international intellectual property disputes and related commercial disputes. His trial, appellate, arbitration and mediation experience allows him to help clients avoid and limit litigation exposure and reduce litigation expense.
He represents domestic and multinational clients in a variety of trademark, social media, online marketing, domain name, copyright, and related intellectual property disputes, including international enforcement and litigation. He has been selected as a Leading Lawyer in Illinois in the area of intellectual property.
Mr. Filosa concentrates on intellectual property disputes and related commercial disputes. He represents clients in a variety of trademark, social media, online marketing, domain name, and copyright disputes, including international enforcement and litigation.
Using his broad litigation background, he helps clients obtain practical and creative solutions, often before litigation or trial. He has tried jury and bench cases to verdict and argued and briefed appeals resulting in several reported decisions.
He also has obtained or defended against preliminary injunctive relief and other extraordinary remedies, often resulting in quick and cost-effective settlements for clients.
In addition to handling cases in district courts and courts of appeal, he has tried and argued cases before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) of the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He regularly handles international and cross-border intellectual property enforcement and litigation.
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D.) (1984)
- University of Notre Dame (B.A.) (1981)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin~United States (2008)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (1999)
- U.S. District Court, Colorado~United States (1999)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (1999)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan~United States (1997)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
Representative Legal Matters:
- Obtained preliminary injunction for plaintiff, direct broadcast satellite programming provider, against rogue telemarketers in case involving trademark infringement, unfair competition and violation of federal and state telemarketing laws
- Obtained summary judgment for defendant, a major sports cable television network, in trademark infringement and unfair competition case
- Member of post-verdict litigation team that obtained $100 million verdict reduction in unfair competition, trade dress, copyright and trade secret case
- Obtained favorable monetary settlement in trademark licensing dispute at mediation for plaintiff, a fashion industry brand owner
Rate : $$$