John G. Calender, former managing shareholder of the Washington, D.C. office and former member of the Firm’s Board of Directors, concentrates his practice in antitrust, commercial litigation, government investigations, and in compliance training and counseling, both domestic and international.
Mr. Calender has extensive experience with administrative trials, investigations, hospital mergers, compliance issues and consent orders before the Federal Trade Commission and the Department of Justice, including both antitrust and consumer protection matters such as the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
Mr. Calender regularly counsels clients on antitrust issues including antitrust/intellectual property issues, international antitrust issues, antitrust exemptions, health care and distribution issues, trade association issues and on a variety of other matters, including advertising substantiation, unfair trade practices and contract disputes.
He also counsels clients on a variety of other federal compliance issues, including anti-bribery laws, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, import/export laws, and lobbying and ethics laws and rules. He has made presentations to Congressional staff, responded to Congressional inquiries and conducted internal investigations on behalf of major financial institutions and manufacturers.
Mr. Calender’s litigation experience includes the management of large teams of attorneys, experts, economists, paralegals and support staff in complex litigation and class action suits in federal and state courts, as well as in agency investigations.
He has successfully defended major Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice antitrust trials and investigations involving merger cases (both horizontal and vertical), price fixing, market allocation, benchmarking, monopolization and price discrimination. He has also responded to inquiries from various State Attorneys General.
- George Washington University, J.D.
- Union College, B.A., cum laude
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – American Bar Association
- Recipient – Baker Donelson’s Washington, D.C. Office Pro Bono Award (2009, 2012, 2013)
- Member – Competition Editorial Advisory Board, Law360 (2010)
- Member – Baker Donelson Pro Bono Committee
- Former President – St. George Greek Orthodox Church, extensive involvement with youth groups and assisting individuals in need
- Member – American Health Lawyers Association (Antitrust Group)
- Member – Transportation Lawyers Association
Rate : $$$