John A. Cullis focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation, counseling and procurement. He has first chaired trademark, trade dress, trade secret, copyright and unfair competition matters before numerous U.S. federal courts throughout the country and the USPTO’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. In addition, John routinely counsels clients on the clearance, registration, enforcement, licensing and acquisition/disposition of intellectual property rights.
John has been recognized among his peers as a preeminent litigator in the field of intellectual property. He was named among “the most talented young attorneys in Illinois” by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company, which included him in its annual “40 Under 40” list in 2011.
He has also been recognized as a leading global trademark practitioner by The World Trademark Review 1000 in 2014 for Enforcement and Litigation. John has also been recognized as an Illinois Super Lawyer for Intellectual Property Litigation.
In addition to his focus on intellectual property matters, John leverages his dual Canadian-U.S. law licenses to counsel and advise many foreign based clients on a wide range of U.S. legal issues, including U.S. acquisitions and dispositions; corporate formations; cross-border tax issues; licensing and transactional agreements; commercial real estate matters; and corporate/commercial disputes.
John is a member of the International Trademark Association’s Opposition and Cancellation Standards and Procedures Sub-Committee and is the President of the Board of the Canada-U.S. Business Council.
Following law school, John completed his Articles of Clerkship at Fraser Milner Casgrain (now Dentons) in its Toronto office. While in law school, he was elected President of the Student Bar Association, a Quarterfinalist in the G. Mennen Moot Court Competition, and an Editorial Assistant of the Windsor Review of Legal and Social Issues.
- University of Windsor Faculty School of Law/ University of Detroit-Mercy School of Law, 2000, J.D.
- Huron College at University of Western Ontario, 1997, B.A.
Professional Admissions & Qualifications :
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Seventh Circuit
Professional Affiliations :
- John has been actively involved with the Canada-U.S. Business Council (formerly the Canadian Club of Chicago) since his arrival in Chicago and currently serves as the president of the board of directors.
- Member, INTA
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
Rate : $$$