John J. Delionado’s practice focuses on internal investigations, financial institution defense, and cybersecurity matters. John regularly represents Fortune 500 companies, financial institutions, and HIPAA-covered entities in governmental investigations and class actions.
John was appointed to serve as the first Special Master over discovery in the Takata Airbag Products Liability Multi-District Litigation. John is veteran of more than 15 jury trials and has handled at least twice that number of other evidentiary hearings during his time as an Assistant United States Attorney and his almost 15 years in private practice after leaving the government.
His trials included high-profile cases involving an airplane hijacking, the armed kidnapping of a federal employee, a mail fraud scheme targeting several schools, and the attempted enticement of a minor over the internet.
He has extensive experience in matters involving cyber intrusions, cyber extortions, corporate espionage, theft of trade secrets, and data breach events. On multiple occasions, John has counseled and defended companies experiencing massive, high profile data breaches.
He has counseled and defended more than 70 financial institutions in approximately 20 states during regulatory examinations on issues relating to consumer and regulatory compliance issues and cyber preparedness.
Throughout his career, he has led dozens of investigations in matters relating to financial crimes, insider abuses, consumer protection issues, and potential FCPA (Foreign Corrupt Practices Act) violations in South America and Asia.
John clerked for the Honorable Federico A. Moreno of the Southern District of Florida. He is a frequent speaker on cybersecurity and banking topics.
- Defended clients in class actions around the country involving breaches of sensitive financial data, health information, and the infiltration of email accounts. There are representative published data breach decisions in matters he handled in the Eleventh Circuit, Southern District of Florida, Northern District of Georgia, Norther District of Illinois, and the Northern District of California.
- Led multiple investigations into FCPA, intellectual property theft, and financial fraud matters. He has conducted investigations for multiple large multi-national companies involving operations in South America, the Caribbean and Asia relating to fraud, corruption, financial irregularities, trade secrets, and sensitive data theft.
- Counseled and, when necessary, defended companies relating to online gaming, fantasy sports, and payment processing.
- Led multiple internal investigations for financial institutions relating to BSA/AML (Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering) matters and lending irregularities.
- Responded to “15 day letters” from primary regulators in almost every region of the continental U.S. and Puerto Rico on BSA/AML, UDAAP (Unfair and Deceptive or Abusive Acts or Practices), fair lending, and Regulation O issues. He has experience with regulatory ratings appeals and has negotiated consent orders, memoranda of understanding, and other private resolutions on behalf of financial institutions.
- Represented over 20 financial institutions as well as companies involved in indirect auto lending that were threatened or referred to the Department of Justice on fair lending matters.
- Represented directors and officers in regulatory sworn statements and regularly defends clients before the regulatory examiners, FinCEN, the Department of Justice, and other agencies.
- Represented financial institutions and financial service providers during “Operation Chokepoint” relating to payment processors and short-term lending.
- Defended the company that employed the alleged Washington Navy Yard shooter in law enforcement, regulatory and Congressional investigations.
- Frequently works with information security consultants as well as statisticians and economists for clients. He has deposed opposition experts on statistical analyses.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2000
- BA, Classics and History, Amherst College, 1995
- District of Columbia
- New York
- US District Court, Southern District of Florida
- Former Chair and Member, Southern District of Florida, Ad Hoc Committee on Attorney Admissions, Peer Review and Attorney Grievance
- Member, Southern District of Florida, Committee for Reappointment of Magistrate Judges
- Member, Southern District of Florida, Bench & Bar Planning Committee
Rate : $$$$