John C. Eichman’s practice focuses on representing clients in complex commercial and fiduciary litigation. John has represented plaintiffs and defendants from around the United States and abroad, including Fortune 500 corporations, privately-held businesses and individuals.
During his 36 years in practice, he has tried cases involving business torts, contract disputes, fiduciary and estate claims, insurance coverage and intellectual property. John is admitted to practice in the US Courts of Appeals for the 5th, 9th and Federal Circuits, and the US District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Western and Southern Districts of Texas.
John is a contributing author to the firm’s Insurance Recovery Blog.
- Defended major financial institution against breach of fiduciary duty claims brought by trust beneficiaries seeking nine-figure damages relating to Eagle Ford Shale oil and gas leases.
- Defended automobile parts manufacturer against patent infringement claims in multi-week trial.
- Represented Texas investors in asserting securities fraud claims against promoters of Italian fire-suppressant businesses.
- Defended major financial institution and trusts against claims for undue influence and breach of fiduciary duty in multi-week trial of will contest and trust contest case, after obtaining summary judgment on tortious interference with inheritance claims before trial.
- Defended client in bill of review action in which the State of Texas sought to set aside a judgment in a prior case and recover over $300 million.
- Defended trust beneficiaries and their trusts against claims brought by beneficiaries’ half-sisters seeking in excess of $100 million arising out of deceased father’s alleged contract to make a will.
- Represented pro bono client in successfully contesting provisions in his mother’s will that resulted from a relative’s undue influence.
- Represented Texas family in asserting securities fraud claims arising out of purchase of interest in luxury resort development in the Bahamas.
- Defended major financial institution against trust beneficiaries’ putative class action claims for breach of fiduciary duty relating to the Enron failure where Plaintiffs unsuccessfully sought to invalidate the ethical wall between the bank’s trust and investment banking operations.
- Represented two Texas families in asserting claims for breach of fiduciary duty and mismanagement against clients’ uncles arising out of the administration of nine family trusts and the management of several substantial family-owned businesses, including a residential real estate development company and a home building company.
- Tried fraudulent conveyance cases successfully attacking $50 million loan guarantee arising out of leveraged buyout of real estate syndication company.
- Represented financial institutions in trials of fidelity bond claims arising out of complex fraud and embezzlement schemes by former officers.
- Tried patent infringement claims for manufacturer of plastic geomembrane liner and obtained multi-million dollar willful infringement verdict.
- Defended luxury goods company in patent, trademark, copyright and trade secrets case relating to its jewelry products.
- Conducted numerous internal investigations of complex fraud schemes at financial institutions and other businesses and successfully pursued related insurance recoveries.
- Defended major telecommunications carrier in several putative class actions alleging deceptive billing and advertising claims.
- Defended financial institution in multiple RICO lawsuits arising out of former president’s involvement in multi-million dollar check kiting scheme.
- Defended a financial services company in trial of professional malpractice case.
- Defended financial institution in trial of lender liability case arising out of failed real estate project.
- Represented corporate executive in trial of claims relating to stock repurchase agreement.
- Tried case for a federal agency involving coverage under a directors’ and officers’ liability insurance policy.
- Represented a major automobile retailer in the trial of an insurance coverage dispute arising out of a complex credit repair scam.
- Represented watch company in defending trademark, design patent and unfair competition claims.
- Represented digital printing company in trial of misappropriation of trade secrets claims.
- Represented semiconductor manufacturer asserting patent infringement claims.
- Represented manufacturer of digital cellular telephones and infrastructure in defending patent infringement claims.
- JD, University of Chicago Law School, 1982
- AB, Georgetown University, magna cum laude, 1979
- Member, American Bar Association and Dallas Bar Association
- Board of Trustees and Member of Executive Committee, Center for American and International Law
- Master, Patrick E. Higginbotham American Inn of Court
- Sustaining Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Dallas Bar Foundation
Rate : $$$