John C. Ericson is a Partner at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP, where he is a member of the Firm’s Corporate Department. John represents underwriters and issuers in a wide variety of capital markets offerings. His extensive corporate finance experience includes high yield and investment grade debt offerings, IPOs and secondary offerings, acquisition finance and restructurings, both domestically and across borders.
John’s transactional work spans several industries, including the consumer/retail, healthcare, manufacturing and telecommunications sectors. He has advised:
- the underwriters in the IPOs and/or secondary offerings of Planet Fitness, SiteOne Landscape Supply, ServiceMaster, Bright Horizons, Generac and other issuers;
- the underwriters in high yield debt offerings involving Ascent Resources Utica, AV Homes, Plastipak, ServiceMaster, Syniverse, Unisys, Universal Health Services and others;
- the underwriters in investment grade debt offerings involving AutoNation, Michael Kors, Hyatt Hotels, Neuberger Berman, Perrigo and others; and
- the underwriters or issuers in high yield and bridge financing for the leveraged buyouts of HCA, HD Supply, Immucor, Pinnacle Foods, Reader’s Digest, ServiceMaster and Sterigenics.
Fluent in Portuguese, John’s work has often involved Brazilian and Portuguese companies, including transactions by BRF–Brasil Foods, DASA–Diagnósticos da América, EDP–Energias do Brasil, Embraer, JBS S.A., GOL–Lineas Aéreas Inteligentes, Natura Cosméticos and Pharol/Portugal Telecom.
Born in the United States, John spent most of his first 18 years in Lisbon, Portugal. In 1993, he received a B.A. in Political Science from Amherst College, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. After working briefly in Washington, D.C. for Congressman James A. Leach, John graduated in 1997 from Yale Law School, where he was an Articles Editor of the Yale Journal of International Law and a Co-Director of the Street Law Program. John serves on the Firm’s Attorney Development, Diversity and Finance Committees.
- Yale Law School, 1997 J.D.
- Yale Journal of International Law, Articles Editor
- Amherst College, 1993 B.A.
- Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions : New York 1999
Rate : $$$