John C. Ertman specializes in complex commercial litigation, with a focus on the investment management industry. He regularly serves as lead litigation counsel on behalf of private equity, mutual fund, and hedge fund clients, including in securities litigation, class actions, government enforcement actions, mortgage trust disputes, large contract disputes, and whistleblower matters.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 1991
- AB, magna cum laude, Harvard College, 1988; Phi Beta Kappa
- New York, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2018
CLERKSHIPS : Honorable Terrence W. Boyle, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- Defense counsel to investment managers PIMCO, BlackRock, and TIAA in third-party contribution actions brought by Wells Fargo in New York federal court.
- Defense counsel to First Guaranty Mortgage Corporation in indemnification action involving sale of mortgage loans brought by the Rescap Liquidating Trust in Minnesota federal court.
- Plaintiff’s counsel to PIMCO Income Fund in RMBS trust action in Minnesota federal court against Wells Fargo and OneMain Financial.
- Plaintiff’s counsel for PIMCO Total Return Fund in an action in Connecticut state court against U.S. Bank as Trustee of RMBS trust.
- Defense counsel to Cohen & Steers closed end funds in shareholder derivative actions in New York state court involving Auction Market Preferred Shares.
- Defense counsel to venture capital firm StarVest in a broken deal litigation in New York and California state courts.
- Defense counsel to a private equity firm and its public portfolio company in shareholder class actions in Delaware Chancery Court in connection with a “going private” transaction.
- Defense counsel to a private equity firm in federal court in New York in litigation arising from an $800 million acquisition of private equity interests.
Rate : $$$