John “Jack” Morkan is a shareholder in Baker Donelson’s Baltimore office. Mr. Morkan’s practice focuses on construction contract disputes and alternative dispute resolution proceedings. He has litigated matters in state and federal courts throughout the United States and has participated in arbitration proceedings involving application of U.S., international and foreign law in the United States, France, Switzerland, Egypt and Ireland.
Mr. Morkan represents owners, engineers, contractors and OEMs in litigation, International Chamber of Commerce and American Arbitration Association proceedings, and ADR tribunals involving claims of delay, abandonment, wrongful termination, substandard workmanship, defective design and related matters.
As a general civil litigator, Mr. Morkan also represents health care providers, telecommunications companies, banks, leasing companies, manufacturers, insurers and other businesses and individuals.
In commercial contract disputes, he handles matters involving claims against trustees, recovery on secured transactions, claims against insurers for wrongful failure to pay and coverage disputes. He has also litigated complex disputes concerning rights arising from complex wills and trust.
Active in the community, Mr. Morkan is an active supporter of the Chesapeake Bay and the sailing community. He serves on the board of the Box of Rain Foundation, an organization dedicated to educational, mentoring and self-realization programs grounded in the diversity of maritime culture, and on the board and as treasurer of the Annapolis Musicians Fund for Musicians, a non-profit organization created to provide financial assistance to musicians who are unable to work due to sickness, injury or other circumstances or who have suffered a catastrophic loss.
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., 1983, with honors
- Georgetown University, B.A., 1977
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- Member – American Bar Association
- Member – Baltimore City Bar Association
- Member – Maryland State Bar Association
- Annapolis Musicians Fund for Musicians
- Box of Rain Foundation
- Eastport Yacht Club, Ltd.
- Maryland Public Justice Center
Rate : $$$$