John Flaim is Chambers rated and leads the Global Intellectual Property Practice Group of Baker McKenzie. His practice encompasses intellectual property litigation, counseling, licensing and prosecution matters. He has significant experience in patent litigation infringement actions in federal district courts and before the US International Trade Commission. Mr. Flaim’s practice focuses on intellectual property litigation.
He has significant experience representing multinational clients, as both plaintiffs and defendants, in patent litigations in District Courts throughout the United States and before the International Trade Commission in Washington, DC. Many of the patents litigated by Mr. Flaim cover electrical and computer related technologies, such as software, voice messaging, semiconductor processing and circuitry, smart cards, wireless and wireline telecommunication systems, and digital image editing.
In the course of his practice, Mr. Flaim counsels clients regarding the infringement, validity and enforceability of patents, including the preparation of formal opinions concerning those issues.
Mr. Flaim is also experienced in licensing, acquisition, development, and co-development transactions and agreements involving various technologies. In addition, he also advises clients on copyright, patent and trademark matters, including the protection of intellectual property assets and infringement assessments.
- St. John’s University (J.D. Honors) (1992)
- Manhattan College (B.S. Electrical Engineering magna cum laude) (1989)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (1996)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (1996)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States (1995)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California~United States (1994)
- New York~United States (1993)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- International Trade Commission Trial Lawyers Association
- Dallas/Fort Worth Intellectual Property Law Association
- State Bar of Texas
Representative Legal Matters:
- Represented a major US location services company in a patent infringement litigation pending in the Eastern District of Virginia, resulting in invalidation of all asserted patent claims.
- Represented a major US bank in an arbitration proceeding involving claims of fraud and theft of trade secrets pending in Minneapolis, Minnesota, finding that the bank’s trade secrets had been misappropriated and awarding damages.
- Represented a major US financial software provider in a patent infringement case in the Middle District of Florida, resulting in invalidation of the asserted claims through summary judgment.
- Represented a major US welding equipment manufacturer in a patent infringement case in the Eastern District of Texas, resulting in a favorable settlement after presenting strong invalidity positions.
Rate : $$$