John Gary Maynard, III has a broad-based intellectual property practice. John Gary is co-head of the firm’s intellectual property group. His practice has a particular emphasis on brand protection; software audits; online enforcement, including domain name counseling and litigation under the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP); trade secret protection; licensing of intellectual property assets; and litigation under the Lanham Act and the Copyright Act.
John Gary is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the Fourth and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeals, the US District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia and the US District Courts for the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida. He served as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Susan C. Bucklew in the Middle District of Florida from 1995 to 1997.
- Developed, implemented and managed global trademark prosecution, maintenance and enforcement program for several Fortune 1000 companies, including major financial institutions, retailers, a major airline and a chemical company, under both hourly and alternative fee arrangements.
- Served as trademark counsel to the board of an IP holding company for a Fortune 1000 company.
- Represented numerous Fortune 1000 companies in brand protection disputes, including trials in federal court, injunction hearings, mediations and proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Developed, implemented and managed online enforcement program for major financial institution, including developing and managing strategy for social media.
- Filed over 300 UDRP proceedings in the last two years, winning all of them.
- Counseled major retailer in yearlong software audit, resulting in savings in excess of $10 million.
- Represented major retailer in litigation of copyright infringement and breach of contract matter arising from a software audit, reaching favorable settlement.
- Represented major gaming software vendor in copyright infringement and breach of contract matter, obtaining favorable jury verdict after three-week trial.
- Developed holistic and client-specific trade secret protection programs, and overall intellectual property protection programs, for Fortune 200 company. Programs included, among other things, physical safeguards, premises controls, computer-use policies, document management procedures and policies governing employees and visitors, as well as provided training and follow-up for implementation and maintenance.
- Regularly counsels clients on proactive and reactive trade secret and other intellectual property protection, including cases involving information security and business partner agreements.
- Regularly counsels major retailer on advertising issues.
- JD, Stetson University College of Law, cum laude, 1994
- BA, Davidson College, 1990
- District of Columbia
- US District Court, Middle District of Florida
- Member, The International Trademark Association (INTA)
Rate : $$$