John M. Gildersleeve is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Munger, Tolles & Olson. His practice focuses on securities and complex commercial litigation in state and federal court, with significant recent representations including:
- Bank of America, N.A. in multijurisdictional litigation arising from the collapse of a mortgage-backed commercial paper facility.
- Corinthian Colleges, Inc. and its officers and directors in securities class action and derivative litigation.
- Edison International and its officers and directors in securities, derivative, and ERISA litigation.
Mr. Gildersleeve also has represented clients in intellectual property disputes, internal investigations, collective and class actions, regulatory proceedings, and mass tort litigation. In 2015, Mr. Gildersleeve completed a fellowship with the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office, where he prosecuted multiple misdemeanor jury trials to verdict. He also has represented clients pro bono in obtaining grants of asylum, and dismissal of removal proceedings, in immigration court and before the Board of Immigration Appeals.
Mr. Gildersleeve served as a law clerk to the Honorable Alvin K. Hellerstein of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. He graduated from Columbia Law School, where he was the executive notes editor of the Columbia Law Review, and received his B.A. from Columbia University.
He is the author of Editing Direct Democracy: Does Limiting the Subject Matter of Ballot Initiatives Offend the First Amendment?, 107 Colum. L. Rev. 1437 (2007). Before joining Munger Tolles, Mr. Gildersleeve was associated with Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP, where he represented clients in securities class action and breach of contract litigation. Mr. Gildersleeve is admitted to practice in California and New York.
- Columbia Law School (J.D., 2008); Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar; executive notes editor, Columbia Law Review; Harold Brown Book Prize
- Columbia University (B.A., 2004); Garrett Mattingly Thesis Prize
Bar Admissions :
- New York
Rate : $$$