John P. Gourary heads Covington’s Royalty Monetization practice and is widely recognized as the leading practitioner in the highly specialized field of pharmaceutical royalty monetizations (structured both as sales to investors and as financings).
Mr. Gourary has been involved in the royalty monetization market from its early stages, has advised on transactions with an aggregate value of over $8 billion, and has participated in virtually all of the landmark transactions in this unique area.
Mr. Gourary is also especially well-known for his representations of major universities and non-profit institutions in their royalty monetizations.
His clients include Athyrium Capital, Boston Children’s Hospital, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Duke University, Emory University, LifeArc, Northwestern University, Pfizer, Takeda, The Kennedy Trust for Rheumatology Research, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, University of Colorado, University of Pennsylvania, and University of Rochester.
Mr. Gourary also has extensive experience with all kinds of bank finance transactions (including syndicated loans, acquisition finance, structured finance, and innovative financings of unusual asset classes).
- Columbia University, J.D., 1982
- Princeton University, A.B., 1979
Bar Admissions : New York
Representative Matters :
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a leading not-for-profit research institute founded in 1890 and home to eight Nobel Prize winners, in its structured monetization of a portion of its royalty interests in the first product approved by the FDA for the treatment of a rare genetic disorder.
- Boston Children’s Hospital, one of the leading pediatric medical centers in the United States, in its monetization of a portion of its royalty interests in Vonvendi for $51.5 million.
- LifeArc (formerly MRC Technology), a UK-based medical research charity, in the structured sale of a portion of its royalty interests in Keytruda for US$150 million (£115.6 million).
- University of Pennsylvania in the structured sale of a portion of its worldwide royalty interests in Juxtapid.
- Duke University in the sale of a portion of its worldwide royalty interests in Myozyme and Lumizyme.
- A $2.0 billion senior secured (borrowing base) credit facility for SandRidge Energy, led by Bank of America.
- A $580 million senior secured credit facility for LIN Media, led by JPMorgan.
Rate : $$$$