John J. Gresens is a litigator with first-chair jury trial experience. Focusing on patent law, John works with public and private companies to achieve business goals through the strategic assertion and defense of intellectual property.
A registered patent lawyer, John’s experience includes litigation, strategic counseling, and opinions. He has tried intellectual property cases throughout the United States, as well as inter partes review and International Contested Patent (Inter Partes) matters.
John frequently engages in cross-border representation to seize opportunities in new markets through patent enforcement, licensing arrangements, and protection. His work includes representing both U.S.-based clients doing business abroad and foreign-based clients doing business in the United States.
John has litigated patents around the world and has tried cases in the U.S. Federal Courts and before the International Trade Commission (ITC), where he has secured exclusion orders, obtained jury verdicts, and favorable settlements, including one for $2 billion in multipatent litigation.
Before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, John has also secured hundreds of patents and has successfully represented clients in IPR, reexamination, reissue, and interference proceedings in anticipation of, and during, litigation.
Throughout his 30-year career, he has assisted public and private companies in achieving their commercial objectives, often reaching settlement in patent disputes through negotiation.
- J.D., Hamline University School of Law, 1986
- B.S., St. John’s University, 1981
Bar Admissions :
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section, Member; Section Council, 2004 – 2008
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, AIPLA Quarterly Journal, Editorial Board, Member, 2001 – 2004
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Board of Governors, 2000 – 2006
- Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association, President, 2004 – 2005
- Hamline University School of Law, Adjunct Professor, 1990 – 2000
Rate : $$$