John H. Hickey, also known as Jack, was born and raised in Miami, Florida. He graduated from Florida State University (magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa) and Duke Law School. For over 36 years, Jack has been trying personal injury and wrongful death cases in the areas personal injury and wrongful death cases in the areas of admiralty and maritime, railroad, medical malpractice, product liability, and general liability.
For the first 17 years of his career, he represented cruise lines, railroads, and other self-insured corporations. Nineteen years ago, he made the transition to representing plaintiffs.
Jack is one of the few attorneys in Florida who is Double Board Certified in Civil Trial and Admiralty and Maritime by The Florida Bar. He is also Board Certified as a Civil Trial Lawyer by the National Board of Trial Advocacy (NBTA). He is also a Past President of the Dade County Bar Association (DCBA), the largest voluntary bar association in Florida.
Jack is a member of The Florida Bar Board of Governors, the governing body of all lawyers licensed to practice in Florida. He is currently on the Board of Directors of the Florida Justice Association (FJA) and a State Delegate of the American Association for Justice (AAJ).
Jack is also the Secretary of the largest section of AAJ, the Motor Vehicle, Highway Safety, and Premises Liability Section. Jack is the Past Chair of 7 DCBA committees, Past Chair of 3 Florida Bar Committees, has received 17 Certificates of Merit from the DCBA “for outstanding and constructive service to the bench, the bar, and the public,” has received 3 certificates from The Florida Bar “in recognition and appreciation of meritorious service to the public and legal profession in Florida, and has received a Certificate of Recognition from the Florida Council of Bar Association Presidents for “dedicated leadership to the members of the legal community during service as President.”
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., 1980
- Florida State University, B.A., 1976
- Admitted to The Florida Bar: 1980
- Board Certified by The Florida Bar as a Civil Trial Lawyer (1990 – present)
- Board Certified by the National Board of Trial Advocates as a Trial Lawyer (2000 present)
- Board Certified by The Florida Bar in Admiralty and Maritime Law (2012 – present)
- Admissions to Federal Courts: All three Federal District Courts in Florida: Southern (including the trial bar)(1980 – present); Middle (1982-present); and Northern (1999- present); Federal Circuit Courts for the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits; Supreme Court of the United States (1983 – present).
Rate : $$$