John Hall is chair of the firm’s global Litigation Practice and past chair of the firm’s Trials Group. Mr. Hall has a wide-ranging civil trial practice involving complex commercial disputes, insurance coverage, class actions, business torts, and unfair competition.
A former Assistant United States Attorney, Mr. Hall also represents individuals and companies in white collar criminal defense and investigations. He has particular experience in high-stakes litigation matters with attendant public relations risks.
For a number of years, Benchmark Litigation, which identifies the leading U.S. trial attorneys at the local and national levels, has named Mr. Hall a “national star” in commercial litigation. Mr. Hall has represented a number of prominent corporations. His professional experience includes the following:
- Lead counsel for Chiquita Brands International, Inc. in numerous interrelated litigation matters arising out of extortion payments made by Chiquita’s former subsidiary to Colombian armed groups, including mass tort claims, insurance coverage disputes, shareholder derivative suits, and government investigations.
- Lead trial counsel for Samsung Electronics Company in multi-district class action litigation involving an alleged global price fixing conspiracy for liquid crystal display screens.
- Lead trial counsel for NCR Corporation in an insurance coverage suit seeking indemnification for the company’s share of the projected $800 million cleanup of the Lower Fox River in Wisconsin.
- Lead trial counsel for flooring manufacturer Congoleum Corporation in insurance coverage litigation involving more than 100,000 asbestos personal injury claims.
- Defense of The Procter & Gamble Company in consumer fraud class actions.
- Representation of Northrop Grumman Corporation in a breach of contract and fraud action.
Mr. Hall maintains an active pro bono practice. Among other projects, he spearheaded the firm’s litigation and advocacy work that led to the repeal of Virginia’s mandatory caps on payments to appointed counsel for indigent defendants. Virginia’s extremely low, nonwaivable caps had been criticized for years by national legal organizations and in the media as undermining the constitutional right of all persons to meaningful and effective representation in criminal cases. In 2004, he was selected as the firm’s Charles F.C. Ruff Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year.
In addition to his more than twenty-five years of experience as a trial lawyer and federal prosecutor, Mr. Hall served early in his career as a top aide and campaign manager for former U.S. Senator John C. Danforth and former Missouri Governor (and U.S. Senator) Christopher S. Bond. In 1992, he was a candidate for Attorney General of Missouri.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1983
- Harvard University, A.B., 1979
Government Service :
- U.S. Department of Justice – U.S. Attorney’s Office
- U.S. Senate
Judicial Clerkship : Hon. Eugene F. Lynch, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 1984 – 1985
Bar Admissions :
- New York
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$