John R. Herin has more than 20 years of experience in land use, zoning and environmental law. For clients in the private and public sectors, John handles complex development matters throughout Florida, including comprehensive plan, platting, permitting, site plan and zoning applications and amendments; endangered species, submerged land leases, and stormwater and wastewater permitting; and lender/buyer due diligence issues.
He also has extensive experience in representing clients with respect to eminent domain, inverse condemnation and land use litigation, as well as claims under Florida’s Bert J. Harris, Jr., Private Property Rights Protection Act.
John has handled a broad range of environmental and land use issues before the Florida governor and cabinet, cabinet aides, district and circuit courts, division of administrative hearings, state agencies and local government bodies. He has also drafted hundreds of ordinances and resolutions for cities and counties on a wide range of subjects.
Representative Matters :
- Obtained required permit approvals from local government allowing developer to use transferable development rights to increase density and height of office building project
- Assisted owner of regional mall in securing amendments to local government’s comprehensive plan and land development regulations to facilitate redevelopment of property into a mixed-use regional activity center
- Represented clients completing environmental remediation projects in connection with ongoing industrial operations and redevelopment projects
- Assisted national banking institution in securing amendments to the Palm Beach County Land Development Code to allow stand-alone banking centers as a matter of right in most commercial zoning districts
- Represented clients in due diligence associated with acquisition of land for industrial, commercial and residential development
John serves or has served as city attorney, assistant city attorney, assistant county attorney and special counsel to numerous local governments and quasi-governmental agencies. Prior to joining Fox, John was a member of a regional Florida firm’s Land Use, Environment, and Government Affairs Department.
EDUCATION : Stetson University College of Law
- Florida Municipal Attorneys Association, Member
- Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Cuban American Bar Association, Member
BAR ADMISSIONS : Florida
Rate : $$$$