A registered patent attorney, John S. Hilten’s practice concentrates on patent prosecution and counseling clients with respect to patent protection, trade secret protection, patent and trade secret litigation, infringement, invalidity, and freedom to operate.
He has extensive experience with every aspect of utility and design patent prosecution, including patent application drafting, responses, reissuing patent applications, reexamining patent applications, patent appeals and foreign filing.
His experience working as an examiner and supervisory patent examiner in the United States Patent and Trademark Office deepened John’s understanding and knowledge of the patent procedure, which he utilizes when creating and maintaining patent portfolios for his clients.
John develops thorough understandings of the high-level technologies with which his clients work, enabling him to efficiently represent them in complex or challenging industries.
- Represents a client in the home automation area. Developed an intellectual property strategy and built a patent portfolio based on the same. Brought an entire product suite to the market, determined all patents that could be filed, analyzed competitors’ patents, and developed noninfringement and invalidity positions to ensure freedom to operate.
- Represented a chemical company in a trade secret misappropriation action involving the production and marketing of Kevlar. A jury found in favor of the client, which was awarded damages.
- Represented a multinational engineering and electronic conglomerate in a patent infringement action alleging the client had infringed patents related to computer numerical control machine tools.
- Represented a wireless service provider in a patent infringement action involving wireless technology.
- Represented a lighting company in two separate patent infringement actions involving LED technology.
- Represented an equipment supplier in a patent infringement action involving mining equipment.
Memberships : Intellectual Property Owners Association
- J.D., American University Washington College of Law, 2003
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, George Mason University, 1999
- B.S., Aeronautical Engineering, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, 1989
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$