John Hinton, shareholder in the Firm’s Atlanta office, concentrates his practice in the areas of construction law and commercial litigation. Mr. Hinton’s commercial litigation practice involves representing businesses in numerous industries and markets, including financial institutions, retail, professional services, manufacturing, and software, in a broad range of disputes that businesses commonly encounter, such as contract disputes, claims for negligence, fraud or other wrongful acts, disputes among business owners, and insurance coverage disputes.
Mr. Hinton regularly defends financial institutions against claims of wrongdoing by clients, including claims for lender liability, breach of good faith and fair dealing, breach of contract, fraud, unfair trade practices, violations of the Truth in Lending Act, and mortgage servicing claims.
He also represents businesses with more specialized issues, such as disputes arising from the licensing and use of software, trade secret and restrictive covenant disputes, and mortgage servicing and securitization issues and Fair Debt Collection Practices Act claims. He has represented clients in state and federal courts and in arbitrations, and his cases include complex and class action disputes.
Mr. Hinton’s construction practice involves representing construction stakeholders throughout the construction cycle, including contract drafting and negotiation, dispute resolution, and general advice.
His dispute resolution experience includes litigation and arbitrations involving construction defect claims, design defect claims, claims for payment (including claims for delays and other additional costs), and insurance and surety claims.
Many of Mr. Hinton’s clients also seek his advice on a variety of general legal issues that businesses face on a daily basis. He regularly counsels clients to help them avoid and resolve disputes before they result in litigation.
- University of Georgia, J.D., 1995, cum laude
- Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S.M., 1992, with highest honors
- Georgia, 1995
- Georgia Supreme Court
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- Defended financial institution against lender liability claim by customer claiming improper termination of loan.
- Defended federal class action suit claiming violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act in the collection of delinquent mortgages.
- Prosecuted an owner’s claim to obtain compensation for construction defects arising from a multimillion dollar residential dormitory project.
- Defended a large subcontractor against a claim that its work resulted in a defective public plaza, while simultaneously prosecuting a claim against the design firm whose design errors caused the defects.
- Represented the defendant against a multimillion dollar claim alleging tortious interference with the claimant’s exclusive contract to market a third-party’s online software product.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – State Bar of Georgia
- Member – General Practice and Trial Law Sections of State Bar of Georgia
- Member – Atlanta Bar Association
- Board Member – Southface Energy Institute (2017 – present)
- Founding Board Member – Atlanta Pregnancy Resource Centers, Inc. (2006 – 2010)
Rate : $$$