John M. Landry is a special counsel in the firm’s Los Angeles office. He is a member of the firm’s Business Trial Practice Group. Mr. Landry practices in a broad spectrum of subject areas with emphasis on class action defense, antitrust and securities litigation.
Mr. Landry also has experience in accountants’ liability litigation, corporate control contests and responding to Securities and Exchange Commission investigations. He has represented Microsoft, Philip Morris, Merrill Lynch, Merck, Medco Health Solutions and Citibank.
- J.D., University of California, Hastings, 1988, Articles Editor, Hastings Law Journal
- B.A., Fordham University, 1984, cum laude
- Represented J.C. Penney in putative consumer class action in federal court alleging false advertising conduct related to alleged defective jewelry products. Mr. Landry assisted in all aspects of opposing class certification, including expert witness discovery. The matter resolved while the class certification motion was pending.
- Represented Amgen in major federal securities fraud class action brought by pension fund. Mr. Landry assisted in challenging the district court’s class certification order in appeals to the Ninth Circuit and U.S. Supreme Court.
- Represented Black & Decker in an action brought under California’s Cartwright Act alleging that Black & Decker had terminated plaintiff’s retail tool distributorship at the behest of plaintiff’s rival, another Black & Decker distributor. Mr. Landry handled all aspects of the case, which resolved favorably.
- Represented International Rectifier Corporation in a major securities class action. Mr. Landry took a leading role in the effort to defeat class certification. The case settled favorably while defendants’ opposition to the class certification motion was pending.
- Represented KPMG in an action in California arising out of the World Bazaars Inc’s bankruptcy case. Mr. Landry handled all discovery and summary judgment proceedings. The case was settled favorably while KPMG’s summary judgment motion was pending.
- American Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
Rate : $$$$