John S. Letchinger is an accomplished trial attorney, having handled a wide scope of intellectual property and related commercial disputes. He regularly represents industry-leading manufacturers, marketing companies and retailers, litigating complex disputes and taking many cases to trial and appeal.
In addition to this significant trial experience, John is a respected counselor to clients in complex and multifaceted intellectual property, marketing and advertising, contracting, business partnering, and related matters. John is a practical, present and accessible advocate for his clients, remaining constantly aware of the unique aspects of his clients’ needs.
John has been recognized by Chambers USA since 2010 and IAM Patent since 2014. He has twice been named a BTI Client Service All-Star, most recently in 2017.
- Successfully defended a national retailer in a dispute with a landlord through appeal to the Indiana Court of Appeals. Brownsburg Station Partners LLC v. Claire’s Boutiques, Inc., 997 N.E.2d 1093 (2013).
- National IP counsel to a Fortune 500 retailer, including serving as lead counsel in more than a dozen patent infringement cases and providing counsel on general IP and advertising, marketing, privacy issues, and complex commercial matters.
- Lead representation of an online travel company in complex commercial matters, intellectual property disputes and ongoing transaction matters involving multiparty agreements.
- Successfully represented Motorola Mobility in multiple patent infringement cases.
- Lead representation in a high-profile data security dispute regarding fraudulent credit card transactions, payment card industry standards and alleged security violations.
- Prosecuted a copyright infringement action relating to the misappropriation and copying of technical drawings. While the case was on appeal to the Seventh Circuit following a protracted bench trial, it settled on favorable terms.
- Lead representation of industry-leading retailers, manufacturers and marketing companies in a wide range of complex commercial and intellectual property disputes, marketing and advertising issues, and general business and contracting matters.
- J.D., University of Illinois College of Law, 1991, cum laude
- B.S., Northwestern University, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
Rate : $$$$