John Carey is a member in the Toledo office of Eastman & Smith and concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial transactions, contracts and business. Mr. Carey regularly represents clients in commercial transactions and has substantial experience in representing private and public clients in commercial litigation in state and federal courts.
Additionally, Mr. Carey has handled arbitrations, mediations and dispute resolutions. To further add value for clients in these matters, he has obtained a certificate in mediation skills from Northwestern University’s School of Professional Studies. This program hones skills used by attorneys in arbitration, dispute resolution or mediation.
- University of Toledo College of Law, J.D., 1977
- Williams College, B.A. with honors, 1973
- Northwestern University, Certificate, Mediation Training, 2015
- Ohio, 1978
- U.S. District Courts:
- Northern District of Ohio, 1978
- Southern District of Ohio, 2004
- Representation of one of the two lead investors in the startup of a manufacturer, to include negotiation of the take-off agreements required for a successful initial public offering.
- Representation of processors in disputes relating to supply agreements in volatile markets.
- Representation of banks in disputes relative to the negotiation of instruments.
- Representation of two nonprofit organizations and a for profit entity in the litigation and negotiated recovery of repair costs related to construction disputes between those owners and their architects, engineers or contractors.
- Representation of the state court receiver, at trial and at the appellate level, in defeating claims of shareholders relative to their bank guaranties.
- American Bar Association, Business and Litigation Sections
- John C. Bates Foundation (director)
- Mediation Panel of the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Toledo Bar Association
Rate : $$$$