John Mercer serves as the section chair for the firm’s Financial Services and Real Estate practice. He has extensive experience with the acquisition, financing, leasing and development of commercial real estate throughout the mid-Atlantic and other parts of the United States. John has assisted regional and national landlords and tenants with the negotiation and preparation of complex office, retail and industrial leases on a regular basis. He serves as outside real estate counsel for several publicly traded companies.
John has published numerous articles and conducted seminars on commercial real estate and financing topics. He is a member of the Commercial Leasing Committee of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Section of the American Bar Association, and is former vice-chair of the ABA’s Office Leasing Subcommittee. He is a member of the International Council of Shopping Centers and a past president of the Greater Richmond Association for Commercial Real Estate, where he serves on the board of directors.
John received his Juris Doctor degree in 1985 from Vermont Law School, where he was editor of the Vermont Legal Research Group, a member of the Moot Court Advisory Board and a contributing writer to the Vermont Law School Forum. He graduated from Union College in Schenectady, New York, in 1982 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics. John is a member of the Richmond, Virginia and Connecticut Bar Associations.
- American Bar Association – Real Property and Probate, Office Leasing Committee, Former Co-Chair – Emerging Lease Issues Committee, Former Vice Chair
- Greater Richmond Association for Commercial Real Estate – Board of Directors and Past President
- Virginia Bar Association – Real Property Section
- Virginia State Bar – Real Estate Section
- Richmond Bar Association
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers – Fellow
- VCU School of Business – Real Estate Circle of Excellence, Member
- Vermont Law School (J.D.), 1985
- Vermont Legal Research Group, Moot Court Advisory Board, Vermont Law School Forum, Contributing Writer
- Union College (B.A.), 1982
Rate : $$$