John M. Peterson is of counsel and a member of the ESOPs & Employee Benefits, Business Taxation, Labor & Employment, and Healthcare Practice Groups at Kaufman & Canoles. John has 45 years of experience as both a practicing attorney and CPA in the areas of retirement plans, employee benefits and tax law.
John has extensive teaching experience on ERISA matters, 25+ years as an adjunct professor at William and Mary Law School and 15+ years at Old Dominion University’s Professional Financial Planning program.
John’s employee benefits practice focuses on creative retirement plan design, particularly 401(k) and cash balance pension plans, and all aspects of the Affordable Care Act, particularly planning for the employer mandate.
- College of William & Mary; B.S., 1970
- College of William & Mary School of Law; J.D., 1973
- College of William & Mary School of Law; MTAX, 1973
- Hampton Roads Employee Benefit Study Group; Founding Member
- American Institute of CPAs; Employee Benefit Committee
- Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants; Employee Benefits Committee
Rate : $$$