Clients appreciate the broad base of knowledge that John J. Meadows has accumulated throughout his legal and business career. Having worked in business for more than a decade before becoming a lawyer, John understands and respects the bottom line impact of his litigation on the clients he represents.
Even though John loves being in the courtroom, he maintains a business-focused approach to his litigation cases, always looking for resolution, and considering the needs of the client first.
Admitted to more than 25 federal district and four state courts, John has litigated cases involving gasoline contamination and industrial accidents, including a multi-billion dollar “bet the company” case for a major oil company.
Additionally, John has represented gas and oil producers in cases involving: property disputes, nuisance defense, complex title litigation, contract disputes, regulatory appeals, environmental permitting and compliance, arbitrations, and mediations.
John is also experienced in the litigation of a variety of issues facing coal mines in the court system, including flooding, contamination and waste discharge, accident, permit violation defense, environmental compliance, and deliberate intent.
John is the leader for the firm’s energy litigation practice group and is a certified mediator. John loves to travel, has lived abroad, is involved in community development, is on several community boards, speaks French and loves good food. John and his wife Becky have two sons and live in an historic home in Charleston.
- Defended client in class action involving alleged multi-state industrial and commercial contamination
- Represented client in complicated construction defect and product design litigation
- Represented client in motion for summary judgment in lease dispute brought by parties to force performance
- Assisted foreign government in interpretation and compliance with U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Represented French client in litigation requiring writing memoranda in French and interviewing French-speaking witnesses
- J.D. University of Richmond
- B.A. M.P.A. Augusta State University
- B.A. Hampden-Sydney College
- Barrister, Judge John A. Field, Jr. American Inn of Court
- Alumnus, John Marshall American Inn of Court
- Winner of the WV Environmental Council Green Entrepreneur of the Year, 2007
- Robert R. Merhige, Jr. National Environmental Negotiation Competition, Semi-Finalist, 2003
- Vice President, West Virginia Biodiesel Cooperative & Green Fuelcrop Cooperative
- Community Board Member, womanSong West Virginia
- Treasurer, West Side Neighborhood Association, Charleston
Rate : $$$$