With 30 years’ experience advising clients on business and transactional matters, John Melicharek focuses his current practice primarily on transactions within the hospitality industry. He counsels clients on real estate, finance, management and similar transactional needs, and provides invaluable guidance during business acquisitions and joint ventures.
When clients are involved in complex transactions, contemplating mixed-use project structuring or facing difficult legal decisions, John is typically brought in to analyze their situation and develop creative strategies to meet their business objectives.
John leads BakerHostetler’s Hospitality Industry team. He has been ranked in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business since 2008 in the area of Leisure and Hospitality and is listed in The Best Lawyers in America© in Real Estate Law.
He is a frequent lecturer at hospitality industry conferences, offering commentary and opinions on hospitality industry issues, trends, challenges and news.
- Represented a client in the structuring and negotiation of a joint venture between two major international hospitality companies for the development, financing, and sale of a mixed-use hotel and timeshare project designed to operate as an integrated resort.
- Represented an international hotel and gaming company in connection with management of various international mixed-use hotel and casino projects.
- Handled the sale of a major convention center hotel in a transaction valued in excess of $700 million.
- Represented a major international hotel brand in the negotiation of hotel management agreements for various urban and resort hotel properties.
- Represented a client in the acquisition of a portfolio of 10 hotels located in seven different states.
- Represented numerous clients in timeshare receivable loans and securitization transactions ranging in value from $50 million to $350 million.
- Urban Land Institute – Recreational Development Council
- American Resort Development Association: Trustee
- Resort Development Organization: Europe
- New Jersey Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Community : Orlando-Orange County Convention and Visitors Bureau: Board of Directors, Former Member
- J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law, 1982, cum laude
- B.S., Lafayette College, 1979, magna cum laude
- Florida, 1993
- New Jersey, 1982
Rate : $$$