John Streelman is a partner in Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP’s Denver office. His practice focuses on national, high exposure litigation and trial matters, including automotive franchise and distribution disputes, employment disputes, and products liability.
He has litigated cases in more than 20 states and has gone to decision/verdict in 18 matters, including numerous jury and bench trials in federal and state courts, appellate courts, administrative tribunals and boards, and arbitrations.
He has handled dispositive and evidentiary hearings and has resolved numerous cases on dispositive motions. Throughout his career, Mr. Streelman has handled dozens of dealer terminations, establishments, relocations, and audits nationwide for major automobile manufacturers.
He has handled numerous employment cases involving claims of discrimination, improper use of trade secrets, violation of non-compete agreements, negligent hiring and training, claims for unemployment, and claims for misclassification of independent contractors.
Mr. Streelman has also defended dozens of healthcare providers and manufacturers against products and professional liability. Finally, Mr. Streelman has handled numerous, high exposure cases alleging construction defects.
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law, JD
- University of Colorado, BA
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- West Colorado Motors (AutoNation) v. General Motors et. al. (Colo. Sup. Ct. 2017) – Obtained reversal of certiorari from the Colorado Supreme Court in a high- stakes dealer relocation dispute for GM
- Atkission v. FCA US LLC (2016) – Represented FCA in a one-week trial involving a dealer’s wrongful termination claim under Texas statute, resulting in an 81-page favorable decision at the trial level. Affirmed at the Board level.
- Obtained complete dismissal in California for Chrysler on claims brought for breach of contract and violation of statutory franchise laws
- Defended a large healthcare provider against claims arising out of a security exercise performed at one of its facilities. The plaintiff alleged claims including assault, false imprisonment, and intentional infliction of emotional distress
- Obtained a preliminary injunction following a full-day evidentiary hearing in a Colorado district court on behalf of a commercial painting company in a case involving trade secrets and a noncompete agreement
- Represented numerous large transportation and freight carriers in administrative investigations and hearings regarding purported misclassification of independent contractors
- Obtained involuntary dismissal with prejudice for a national freight carrier against claims of race discrimination in federal court in Colorado
- Negotiated and obtained voluntary dismissal of claims for negligence and wrongful death against a large national retirement community and assisted living provider
- Won a unanimous jury defense verdict for a cardiothoracic surgeon in a two-week medical malpractice trial involving injuries associated with an atrial fibrillation surgery
- West Colorado Motors v. General Motors (Colo. Ct. App. 2016) – Successfully defended General Motors in the relocation of an automobile dealership in which the plaintiff alleged that GM unreasonably approved the dealership’s move
Previous Professional Experience:
- Colorado Attorney General’s Office
- Partner at Denver-based law firm
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Faculty Member
- Faculty of Federal Advocates
- International Franchise Association
- DU Mentoring Program to Law School Students (2008-Present)
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
- Minoru Yasui American Inn of Court
Rate : $$$